Monday, September 27, 2010

Female MC's

SO...I guess I'm on a feminist tip today which is a little unusual for me. So while I'm catching up as if I'm in high school, I have VH1 Soul playing in the background and Salt-N-Pepa is on. Oh how I miss the late 80s early 90s of hip-hop. The female rappers were on FIYA! We had Salt-N-Pepa, Yo-Yo, Queen Latifah, MC Lyte and of course the one hit wonders like 357, Tigra and Bunny, & Monie Love. Those were the days. Now who do we have? Whack ass Nicki Minaj. I believe that if she had some competition she wouldn't be as popular.

I know Lil Kim is trying her best to stay alive but I think the cosmetic surgeries and the fact that she hasn't changed puts her at a disadvantage. I mean you're in your 30s still portraying the whore role. You're image hasn't evolved at all. To those who were there when you originated you're old news. To the those that may be new to your music you're seen as a has been.

Other female hip-hop artist evolved out of hip-hop. We all know Queen Latifah has branded and diversified herself well beyond hip-hop. MC Lyte had a recurring role on sitcoms and I've heard her distinct NY accent being used as a voice over plenty of times. Unlike, there male counterparts, female hip-hop artist aren't replaced. Once they move on other rappers aren't available to take their place. Hopefully female rap artist won't just fade to black.

No comments:

Post a Comment