Monday, September 27, 2010

Women and sports

This has been a bad week for me and apparently I have some catching up. Although I've been under the weather this week with a sinus attack from hell that doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy my Sunday football. Interesting enough my mind starting wandering off about minorities in football but specifically women.

Picture it, Sunday football over my brother's house the Browns vs. Ravens and I notice the Brown's quarterback is a Black man. My response, "Oh, I didn't know the Brown's had a Black qb!" As soon as I made the statement me and my brother looked at each other in a  'that's not a big deal anymore' way, we both shrugged and continued watching the game.

Now, I don't expect to see a woman quarterback playing in the NFL but what about a coach? It's not as if you have to be a former player to coach a team. Most NFL coaches are drafted from the college level. Of course I did a little research and there are no female coaches in college football--not even as an assistant coach. Other than the initial eye-candy in the locker room I can't see why a woman can't lead a football team. I know I've held my own during football conversations with my male friends.

Women in the NFL are pacified and treated "girly" or as sex objects. They're allowed to report on the sideline but NEVER in the booth or pre-post game shows. Time has a theory which seems to lean toward a woman's role at home. I don't even hear it being addressed by feminist groups and activist. Is the NFL the one place where it's okay to exclude women?

1 comment:

  1. Right or wrong I think it would be hard for a female to be a head coach for a sports team because most coaches are former players (at least some type of college career and often a pro). I also think so much happens in terms of coaches connecting to players in the locker room that I'm not sure a woman could ever be a good coach for male players. But I would be curious to see one as a position coach and see if she could work her way into the culture.

    I think the next barrier for women to crack is to be refs. I don't think there are female refs/umps in any sport. That doesn't make sense to me. Why couldn't a woman call balls or strikes or call penalties in football? At the very least they could be line judges.

    ReplyDelete