Sunday, October 3, 2010

All the Single Ladies



This is my favorite episode of Sex in the City! It's like the single woman's anthem to being completely single -- no kids, no husband! Often times I feel the pressures of being single...not in a bad whoa is me kinda way but in a "she can do it, it's only her." Working from home without a family automatically places me at the top of people's call list. I'm happy as a single woman and I'm happy for my relatives and friends who have the package.

Like the Carrie Bradshaw character, I now quantify my gift givings when those fluffy, overly decorated, pastel pieces of mail are spotted in my mailbox. They're automatic BILLS. Whatever you're getting invited to...trust and believe it requires a gift. Sometimes those gifts are public so if you're giving a crappy gift, everyone will know it.

That's when I go into my memory bank of gift giving and receiving. Please spare me the "you don't give to receive" look. You may not, but I do. The invitation get the wheels turning...did they come to my housewarming, what about the birthday party, did they at least purchase something from the tastefully simple catalog, how long has it been since we actually talked or hung out? The long lost "friend" is the worst type of invitation. If you haven't seen me in 10+ years please don't send me an invitation that will require me bringing you a gift. Most of the time after you've given that gift you lose contact with that person again. Let's meet for drinks, lunch, or something that will be an equal financial burden.

Of course there are always some exceptions to my rules. I am a very dedicated person. I keep relationships with people for a long time. I get overjoyed when I hear of my relatives and friends life accomplishments. When that happens budgets are broken, gas prices are ignored, and the past is the past!

No comments:

Post a Comment